Whither Must I Wander

1.10.2007

Soundtrack 2006


The past year was peculiar in the way that a lot of my memories revolve around and are entrenched in the music I was listening to at the time, more so than usual. If only for myself (as no one else reads this) and to preserve my ever failing memory, this is my life soundtrack for 2006.

- Ben Folds, "Rocking the Suburbs" album. Back before I got booted from my adorable, expensive apartment so they could turn it into an over-priced condo, I was able to walk to work every day. Listening to this album whilst trekking amongst 17th Ave was awesome - the energy in the songs completely complemented the cadence of my steps. *sniff sniff* I really miss walking to work. As does my metabolism.

- Belle and Sebastian, "Tigermilk" and "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" albums. I listened to the "Tigermilk" album nonstop while traveling through the UK via train. Seascapes, old tunnels and gloomy weather made it a perfect accompaniment. "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" kept me company on a different kind of train, the commuting kind (booooo). "If She Wants Me" might be one of the best songs ever and provided comfort for me amidst my fellow sardines. And of course, I enjoyed seeing them in Trafalgar Square (name drop, name drop). What is it about this band? My sister and I had a conversation recently about how we know we're supposed to listen to other music, and we do, but all we really want is to listen to Belle and Sebastian.

- The Mountain Goats, "No Children". My middle brother and I have a bet to see who can get married first, solely so we can be the first play this song at the reception.

- Regina Spektor, "Us". I first heard this in a commercial before this excellent French film we saw in York. Makes me think of my adorable/horrible little sister and the winding, cobblestone-y streets of York.

- The New P*rnographers, "Twin Cinema". Wintry Saturday mornings, Cafe Beano, pain au chocolat and the Globe and Mail. Life really doesn't get much better. "These Are The Fables" is a great sing-along. Got to see these guys 3x this year - money well spent.

- The Raconteurs, "Intimate Secretary". Driving in my Jeep during the scorching days of summer with this song blasting out the windows = exuberance.

- Ella Fitzgerald, "If I Were A Bell". Love it.

- Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins, "Rabbit Fur Coat" album. Tried like gangbusters to see them when we were in Europe but no dice. Jenny Lewis has a gorgeous/unique voice.

- Rilo Kiley, "Portions for Foxes". This song kills me. See comment about Jenny Lewis above.

- Brendan Benson, "Alternative to Love". This album was the perfect accompaniment to driving around Northern Alberta in a rental car in July while being courted by Big Bad Energy, who were trying to entice me to work with them admidst the pines and crude mines. They were not successful (read: not forthcoming enough with the coinage).

- The Postal Service, "Give Up". During an end of summer road trip to Seattle for the Bumbershoot Festival, the calming vocals and snappy beats kept us tranquil yet alert for night driving across Washington.

- Matt Costa, "Sweet Rose". I love this song so much, it's just plain happy. And he played Bumbershoot so hearing it just as good live was a bonus.

- Rocky Votolato, "White Daisy Passing". This might be one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. "Pretty" is of course a rather weak adjective, but that's what it is - pretty. Do yourself a favor and listen to it. R.V. was also at Bumbershoot - got a wicked sunburn as a result of standing as close to the stage as possible, but didn't care.

- Death Cab For Cutie, "Transatlanticism". I like the songs on "Plans" better, but this album flows together as a whole almost perfectly. And it was a good panacea for heartache. (Ugh, how affected, typical and slightly pathetic. Meh.)

- Wolf Parade, "I'll Believe in Anything". This songs picks it up, throws it down and stomps on it. Whatever 'it' is.

That's enough. I could probably go on but I'll refrain. Y'know, I love how senses trigger memory. Like the smell of a certain perfume taking you back to a relative or a song reminding you of an old boyfriend...I don't know. Definitely a perk of this whole life business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home